Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Fasting and Prayer

Some of you know that I have written a book but for those of you who don't let me briefly catch you up.

I started writing fiction about six years ago for fun. It has been a slow adventure but then again I was having three kids also. :) Over the past six years, God has placed key people to help, encourage, and push me along in the process. It has truly been amazing to watch God's hand at work in this way. Placing the right people in my life just when I needed them. If you don't know much about getting published, then I will tell you it is a long and hard process. This past spring I submitted to an agent and received a rejection but the letter was encouraging and gave some helpful suggestions. I also made a great new friend through my parent this summer who has been so helpful I can't even begin to tell you. One of the suggestions of the agent was to join the American Christian Fiction Writers gild. I did and about a moth ago I fell strongly that I needed to find a way to attend the conference in September. Again God has provided a way and I will be leaving six weeks from today.

Ok, now you are caught up let's get back to the point. I feel very strongly that I need to go to this conference. I am not clear why. There will be many opportunities to meet with agents and publishers but I am not sure the reason that God wants me to go is cause the book is ready to be signed. It may be that I will meet people and learn things that I need to learn to go to the next level in my writing. I am content with whatever the reason is.

They have a very helpful loop for first time conference attendees and every day my email is filled with suggestions and questions from others as to what to expect. The problem is the more I read the more I feel discouraged of my own writing, my abilities, and why I am even doing this.

I recognize two things. If God wants this book to be published he will get it there. He can use my little effort to work for His kingdom. I also recognize that my perspective on life and this book only stays "healthy" when I am daily seeking God and time in prayer with Him.

The last month as I have prepared has been a roller coaster for me. Tackling the world one day, drowning the next. I have decided that I need to do two things to make the next six weeks positive and the conference truly fruitful. PRAY and FAST. This isn't a new concept, I know, but I need to take it seriously.

This where you came in. I need you all to pray for me and keep me accountable to my fast. Face it, I am NOT a disciplined person. If you feel led any day to drop a note, I would love it. But if you don't have time I understand.

For the next six weeks, I am committing to spending time in the scripture and in prayer EVERYDAY with the Lord. I am also committing to fasting all TV and movie entertainment.

TV is not bad but I recognize that it tends to be my go to when I am stressed and I need that to be God. I will try to regularly update this (more than I have been) and let you know how it is going and what God is teaching me. Blessings.

No comments:

Post a Comment